Sometimes the middle seat can change your life

Thursday, July 13, 2006

But, where do the shoes go?

I moved into temporary apartment until I get to know Amsterdam a bit better so I can decide where I want to live based on some level of experience rather than my existing “eeny, meeny, miney, mo” strategy. The apartment is in a great part of town – right in the city center on one of the main canals. I was a bit apprehensive of what to expect knowing that many things are different in Europe. For example I’ve learned that apparently screens in windows haven’t yet made it to Amsterdam. Nevermind that we live in a city of canals breeding mosquitos the size of my feet, screens just aren’t done. Many opt to get a mosquito net for their bed, but knowing myself well I’m more likely to end up entangled in the middle of the night like some sort of giant fly trapped as the main course in a mosquito feast.

I walked into my apartment and was really pleased. It has lots of light, open space, two bedrooms and seemingly all the things I needed. Sure it has man furniture, but hey, it’s just for 6 months. I got to the bedroom and all was fine until I realized that I was looking at the closet. The ONLY closet. I flashed back to the Sex and the City episode of Carrie looking for apartments in NYC and I could not have identified more at that moment…”That’s a closet?...but, where do the shoes go?!” I stood there with a ridiculous look of bewilderment on my face for a while – “Seriously, I’m not kidding where do the shoes go!?”

I thought I’d done a good job of weeding out my shoes coming to Amsterdam but hey, I’m a girl and I like shoes. I like high heels and I refuse to give them up! So to answer my own question…”The shoes go in the cabinet in my office.” Some people have files, I have shoes. Hey, it’s all about choices!

3 Comments:

  • Kate,

    Aunt Dedee gave me access to your blog -- it's great to hear all about your adventures! I feel your pain about the shoe space -- a girl can't be without her shoes...especially in a foreign country! Maybe a 2-bedroom will solve it. Best of luck!

    Cousin Lydia

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 3:36 AM  

  • Shoes go in the kitchen cabinets. Who cooks anyway? Although, your solution is very clever. Take care and hang onto those high heels!
    Love - Janet

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 1:20 AM  

  • Okay - that's hilarious. Keep em' coming so Jeff and I can share in all of your Amsterdam adventures!
    Love,
    Melinda

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 3:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home